Sunday, December 27, 2009

CHRISTMAS


Christmas Eve is always so fun at our house. I love it when it is just our little family, relaxing and enjoying each other. This year was just as fun. We spent the afternoon preparing our favorite dinner: Prime rib, twice baked potatoes, spinach salad, rolls and sparkling cider. We sent the kids outside for some fresh air while we finished getting everything ready. They came in the house with this beautiful handmade "mistletoe..."


A sort-of fancy yet kid favorite dessert...cupcakes!




Our Christmas eve program consists of acting out the nativity and watching the Nativity dvd. Then the kids get to open one gift, usually their new pajamas, before Chris reads "The Night Before Christmas." Once they get a plate of goodies ready for Santa they scamper upstairs to Olivia's room to (try) and fall asleep together. 

new jammies



Santa and the reindeer are always well fed at this house
Christmas morning came early. Really early! I am not sure that the kids really slept all that much but they sure were excited!! We always have a special family prayer at the top of the stairs, just to remind us all what we are really celebrating. Then Chris and I go go downstairs first to turn on the tree lights and "check" to see if Santa has been here. The kids race down after us and the free-for-all begins.

Grandma and Grandpa Smith sent the boys Chiefs uniforms!


Livi's shock when she realized our family present was a  wii!

My mom and I pulled a fast one on Chris this year. He bought the wii for the family and was really wanting to get RockBand for himself. However it was the hot commodity this year, selling out everywhere! We tricked him into thinking that my mom couldn't get one- I told Chris she bought him some nice jewelry- when actually she had been at Best Buy when the new shipment of Rockbands arrived! So his present from them was one of my bracelets, wrapped up in a small box. When he opened it, he was totally confused. There was a small tag attached to the bracelet that said "Gotcha! Your real present is hidden in the coat closet! Love, Mom and Dad Robinson" Here he is, pulling out his Rockband:


After Santa's surprises and present opening, we had a nice big breakfast. Then the rest of the day is spent   playing with new toys and games  and just having fun together. This year I don't think we even got out of our jammies! I love it. This is the third year that we have done pizza on Christmas Day afternoon and it works out great for us. We've already had our big fancy meal so I usually just have a Papa Murphy's pizza in the fridge and we bake it when we are ready to take a break from playing!

I just love everything about Christmas. I love the extra things we do that bring us closer as a family. I love the extra cuddle time we have as we read all of those Christmas stories. I love shopping for the kids. I love baking yummy treats that only get made at Christmas time. And most of all, I love the warm sweet spirit of Christ that is so strong this time of year. Most years I wish that Christmas Eve could last a week, just because of how wonderful the evening feels. I am thankful for my family and for the pure joy they bring to me. That is the best gift of all!

No comments: