Friday, May 8, 2009

BIKE RACE


Tonight I challenged Olivia to a bike race on the driveway. This is a big deal, considering that we have the steepest, longest, most grueling driveway in all of South Dakota. At first she refused to compete, knowing that many have died on the driveway trying to retrieve the garbage cans, but then changed her mind once Chris reminded her that my "bike skills" aren't great. (Let me defend myself by saying that I can ride, it's just sharp turns that I have a hard time with....)

Soon the race was on and we were both talking alot of chump smack. I was sure I had her beat...that skinny body was no match for my meaty legs. I was teasing her, calling her "toothpick" and trying to get in her head. Liv headed down first, but she slowed down too much and those long legs couldn't build enough speed to get her back up the hill. I was yelling, "C'mon toothpick, ride!! Go toothpick, go!!" She stopped in the middle of the hill. I was sure to be the champion of the driveway.

I strapped on her tiny bike helmut and squatted over her purple dirt bike. Down I went, a bit worried because her breaks really weren't as good as they should have been for and a hill like that. I turned the corner even slower than Liv did and ran over the grass when I over corrected. I was not going to lose! The family was at the top of the driveway, cheering me on. Then out of nowhere I hear, "GO PORK CHOP GO!! GO PORK CHOP GO!!" It was Nick. Where did he come up with THAT?!? Nevertheless, I started laughing so hard that I nearly fell off the bike.

Round two went a little better....I paced it just right and made it to the top of the hill. Liv did even better and finished at the top of the hill too but with much more momentum than I. "Toothpick" was declared the official winner of the driveway challenge.

Later Chris and I were talking and he asked, "Why were you calling yourself porkchop?" I informed him, very politely, that it was Nick, not I, who had come up with that nickname. That kid cracks me up. Guess he calls it like he sees it, huh?

1 comment:

Cher said...

Jenn you crack me up!!! Seriously. And doesn't Nick know that your nick name is not 'pork chop' but 'african princess'?
About that. Don't worry karma bit me in the but on that one.