Sunday, June 21, 2009

FATHER'S DAY


HAPPY FATHER"S DAY, CHRIS!! This is the first year that I haven't been able to wish him a Happy Father's Day in person! He and the kids left on Wednesday and are in Utah visiting family for a few weeks. Livi's suitcase was packed with the cards we'd made earlier in the week and the itunes gift card they bought him....the man can never have enough music! I hope he knows just how much we all appreciate and love him. He is such a loving man and a very hard worker, always concerned that his family has what they need and want. He is the dad every child deserves, one who will tease and wrestle and cheer the loudest at sporting events but then also wipe tears and lay down the law when it's needed. One of the cards he got had Napoleon Dynmite on the front and read, "To a Guy with Flippin' Sweet Skills" and then inside was the recorded voice of Napoleon listing his sweet skills "Ninja skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills." The kids finished the card with a list of Chris' sweet skills....special cereal-making skills, great daddy skills, hunting skills, batman skills, etc. I was so cute! Thanks honey, for being such a wonderful husband and daddy!!

The only dad in the world that would ride the teacups over and over and over....
Chris and his little baseball buddy, Nick
Baby Ben staring into his Daddy's eyes during his first bottle feeding
This year is also one of the few that I have been able to be with my own Dad on Father's Day. It was fun to get up and make him breakfast and watch as he opened cards and gifts from my siblings and I. He and I are so much alike, it is hard to believe that he is my step-dad. We are almost always in agreement on how things should be done, organized and changed. We have the same (very expensive) taste of which we are quite proud. It's kind of funny how we tend to side with each other on family issues and things and all my mom can say is, "Oh, you two!" I love it. And I love him. I was only five when he and my mom remarried. Sure, she needed a companion, but I really needed a dad. He took me under his protective wing and has treated me like his own ever since. I could not be more grateful for him than I am. He is quiet but sensitive and always so concerned about how his children are doing and what he can to do help them. I have always known, my entire life, that my dad is available when I need him. He is an intelligent man whose advice and counsel have been so important to both Chris and I during our married life. Many times, when we have been faced with a tough decision, Chris has asked " What does your dad think about this?" or just called my dad himself to find out. We have a special relationship and what a great day to celebrate it! Love you, Dad

No comments: