Tuesday, January 4, 2011

PHONE CALL

I just got a call from the kids' school. Does anyone else get a tiny bit nervous when the school calls and the kids are already home for the day? My stomach cramps just a tiny bit....and we have really good kids! Anyways, it was Nick's teacher. And she was calling to tell me she forgot to send something home with him, but wanted to give me a "heads up." I thought I knew the meaning of a "heads up"...... But this time, I didn't. She was calling to let me know that Nick had been chosen, for the second time in his school career, as an outstanding role model, example, and friend to his classmates. His teacher was very excited to tell me that he will be having breakfast with the principal on Friday to celebrate what a great kid he is! She went on to say how she just "really loves" him and told me a cute story that "melted" her heart. The kids have been working on money values in class and earning play money which they can spend at the school store. On the day of the long awaited visit to the store, one of Nick's classmates realized he had lost one of his dollars. To go to the store each student had to have $5.00, and now this boy only had $4.00. The teacher had to tell the boy that he would need to earn another dollar before he was able to visit the store. Then, she said, Nick approached her with his wad of money and in private asked if he could give the classmate one of his dollars. She asked if he really wanted to do that and he said he was sure, that he wanted to share. She thought it was really something that a first grade boy would so easily give up something that he had worked so hard for. I was crying. Silently, of course. That was my Nick. The crazy loud boy with the gigantic heart. I was so so so proud of him.

He was at a friend's house when his teacher called so I waited to tell both him and Chris once they were home. I started out by telling them I got a phone call from the school and little Nick, bless him, said right off, "How come, Mom? I didn't do anything! What did I do?" I quickly got to the point of the call so he wouldn't get too sad. His face turned from worried to this sweet little precious smile as I retold the story the teacher had told me. It was a special moment for us as parents, I must say. We have good kids. They try so hard to choose the right. And at times, their little hearts seem bigger than their bodies! I love ya, Nicky. Eat lots of donuts on Friday! XO
This was definetly worthy of the red plate...

Fancy new t-shirt from Friday's breakfast!

No comments: