Tuesday, March 10, 2009

MOMMA'S BOY


Not too long ago, Nick was really a behavioral challenge. We've all been through alot lately, but Nick was taking it to the next level. He was defiant and sassy and lashing out at Ben for every little thing. He was sleeping poorly and started wetting the bed so on top of being naughty, he was totally exhausted. Chris and I were losing our minds, trying to figure out what was going on with him. Then one night, while talking to my mom in total frustration, she reminded me that "the kid with the worst behavior needs the most love." I thought about that for a little while and then it all dawned on me. I felt bad for not recognizing the problem earlier. What kind of a mother am I? Am I that out of touch? How come I didn't see it?

This little peanut is 100% mine. Has been since the day he was born. Of all the people in the world, he will choose his momma for love, attention, talk time, date night, or back scratching over anyone else. He is the softest, most sensitive sweetest little boy, much like his daddy was when he was little. I love my Nicky to pieces and it hurts me to know how hard life has been for him, now that his mommy is working! It really hasn't phased the other kids, but for Nick, it has obviously been traumatic! We went from being together every day all day to seeing each other for only few minutes in the morning. Sometimes we go a couple of days without hanging out together. No wonder he is acting up, he feels abandoned by his mom! Unfortunately, he doesn't totally understand why I need to work, so that makes things even harder. Every morning he wakes up early and sits in the bathroom with me while I get ready to go. He follows me around the house while I gather my stuff, asking when I will be home. He kisses me at least five times before following me out to the car, then another kiss or two and he still can hardly stand to see me drive away. I call to check on him during the day and every once in a while, Chris brings the boys to the hospital to have lunch with me in the cafeteria. Nick would come every day to have cheese sticks and rootbeer with me if he could. I wish he could. It would make my days easier, too, being able to see him.

Since realizing what was "really" going on with him, we've made some changes and he seems to be feeling much better. I am making a conscious effort to spend a little time with him as often as possible, doing whatever he wants to do. I make sure to ask him about every little thing he does in school and let him help me cook dinner. We cuddle, tickle and read together a little more often and I am happy to slump against the wall and rest while he dances and performs for me. He's a good kid, a sweet kid, and I hope he will forgive me for not understanding what was going on with him sooner. I love you, buddy, more than you know. Momma will be home again soon, I promise! XOXOXO

No comments: